Monday, May 31, 2010
Wow! Gardening in the mega garden is a lot of work.
The "weeds" are easy to detect because they are mainly maple trees.
Thank goodness for rain tonight because it takes about an hour a day to water the mega garden in this 85 degree heat.
I thought I would remember what I planted where but for the most part I don't so the sprouting plants are a mystery right now.
Today I put together the Martha Stewart herbal tower and planted some sunflowers, lavender & lemon marigolds along the edge of my side of the mega garden.
Posted by Sharon Stadul at 7:20 PM
I have made some serious progress this week in my little slice of Cleveland...
I deviated drastically from the original plan with the exception of what is being planted in the beds. Our biggest reason for originally designing all raised beds was the potential for lead in the soil; at my Permaculture Design Course we learned that the lead will not be taken up into fruiting plants and that the major concern is with green leafy veggies. We decided, therefore, to plant some gardens in-ground, and some in raised beds. We will also have some tests done to determine the level of lead (if any) in the two areas of in-ground gardens.
This deviation from the original plan allowed us an extra row of plantings in both the front and back gardens; the square footage of the back rows went down a bit though.
I also planted two more trees this week, so we now have two peaches and two plums. The strawberries are looking lovely, and we got to eat our first one of the year yesterday!
I have planted one vertical garden so far; I made it a bit too big around, and as a result it leans on the house :o) I'm going to plant ano ther one this week, but will make it a smaller diameter. It is growing potatoes, squash, and radishes for sure, and may pop out some other interesting foods as I sprinkled misc. seeds that had fallen out of their packets into the top couple layers of planting.
I still have to plant the second raised bed (behind the chicken coop), but need to buy some more topsoil first.
The grapes and hardy kiwi are doing really well, and I am excited about the size of our raspberry bushes this year! Yum!
So, that's it for now... off to work in the garden!
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
The demarkracy plotted out our garden last week. It went from medium sized to mega in one afternoon. Kathy and I started planting today. She has neat little rows in her section in the middle. There's not much rhyme or reason to mine on one end (although I am trying to use companion planting as much as possible). The other end is community, and Kathy has already planted bunches of potatoes.
Posted by Sharon Stadul at 10:06 PM
Friday, May 7, 2010
I planted about a month ago, and some plants are doing shockingly well, and some horribly bad. I'll post photos and updates in the next couple days.