Thursday, April 15, 2010

Foraging - Acorns

My first foraging experience for the challenge was hunting for acorns. Easily collected, but not easily processed for food.

I followed the steps, but boiling them until the liquid is clear has taken way more than 2-3 hours.

I collected & dried them on Easter. I de-shelled them on that Monday. I believe the following day I started boiling them after work & soaking them. Here it is a 1 1/2 weeks later and they still do not appear ready to dry & ground to make into meal.

I was brave and tried a teeny taste a little while ago. It wasn't bitter but had kind of a mushroom-like taste (they also smell like mushrooms when the are boiling).

Hopefully I can finish them tonight because I am going out of town for the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. It turns out that the acorns are a flop except for use in the compost pile. Kathy talked to someone in her perma-culture class, and the Native Americans took months to prepare the acorns until they were edible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you toss them yet? The article you cited recommended putting them in a fast flowing stream for a day, you could give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not throw them away - they are still in the fridge. What are you suggesting?

    ReplyDelete