Sunday, January 3, 2010

Introduction Todd Jackson

I get pretty excited about self sufficiency. I have done a lot of reading on various topics from gardening to preserving to just about anything related to being self sufficient. I have plans to build a solar dehydrator as my wife has mentioned. I also plan on building a Cider Mill which I have plans for. Won't be able to harvest apples in time for this event but I hope to harvest apples in the fall, and make my own cider. I already know of 2 places where they had a sign in their front yard to "help yourselves to our apples" cause they didn't want them to go to waste. So, if all goes well, I should have some fresh home made apple cider and if I get enough, I should have some home made apple cider vinegar. Plus I know where to get pears (someone my sister knows) and peaches (Mark and Kathy's grandma's).
I hope to find grapes somewhere to make grape jelly, maybe some wine and maybe wine vinegar. Maybe if I can find some seedless types I'll even put some in the dehydrator to make some raisins. Different preserving recipes require different types of vinegar. Vinegar is typically used for pickling.
I do hope to hunt/fish for protein but thusfar have been unsuccessful in past ventures. I'll have to be more successful in the future. Guess I'll have to practice more! :)
I taking a beekeeping class next month and have been going to the Greater Cleveland BeeKeeping Association meetings on and off for the past 6 months. About every other month so it's only been 3 meetings. However Bees are a great companion for the self sufficient person. Honey for sweetening. Wax for candles. Great polinators. I'll see if I can take over an established hive. Otherwise I'll have to put one in our small yard or find a larger yard/farm where they will let me set one up. Kind of a common practice but I'll have to find someone to work with.
I'm sure there's more but that's it for now. I'm sure there will be another post of random thoughts from me soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment