Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rooftop Garden

I just signed my lease for another year, and along with a few repair requests, I asked my landlord if I could build a garden on the roof:
"Would you allow me to plant a small vegetable garden on the roof of this building? It would be no more than a few potted plants in the area above my fourth floor bedroom. Not only would it beautify the building, but it would take advantage of unused space. Rooftop gardens can also keep the building cooler in the summer, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It is an all around benefit to the building.

I would take great care to respect the integrity of the roof and the privacy of those living below it. Please let me know what you decide."
We'll see what they say; I have the advantage of living on the top floor, so I really wouldn't be bothering anybody.  The rub is we're technically not allowed up on the roof (it's in our lease) and they put the smack down after all the tenants went up there to watch fireworks last Fourth of July.

But there's no harm in asking. If they don't comply, I'm going to propose the idea to a museum I work with in Brooklyn. I think they would be up for it, but the site is about an hour away by subway. I'd only be able to visit once or twice a week.

4 comments:

  1. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck! Hopefully you can work through any objections! :o) It would be most excellent to have your garden right above you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely would; but if it doesn't work out, the museum I work with in brooklyn was happy to give me some space. They're also putting me in touch with come people who raise chickens and cows in the city. Perhaps I could rent one, or donate my time a few hours a week in return for eggs and milk. Do you think that would fit under our rules, at least for me in the city?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rule is "food should be cultivated through hunting, fishing, farming, or foraging". I believe that working on a farm to obtain eggs and milk falls under this general rule.

    ReplyDelete