Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dinner, Day 3


Dinner couldn't come fast enough - I had a swim after lunch and felt shaky after. I snacked on the leftover spinach salad from last night and some soynuts, along with some dried mulberries (they taste very much like raisins.)
Dinner tonight is stuffed cabbage and green beans.

Stuffed Cabbage:
1/4lb ground meat
1 cup hominy
2 cloves garlic
oregano

Tomato Sauce:
2 tomatoes
1/4 summer squash
garlic
basil
oregano

The ground meat was all the small bits of squirrel and goose that were too small to cook. I ground it up in the corona mill, passing it through 4 times. There were still a few long fatty strings but for the most part it did a decent job. Since I didn't have any rice I substituted chopped-up hominy that I made and jarred in salt weeks ago. Add a little oregano and garlic and mix for the filling. The cabbage leaves are boiled for a few minutes to soften them, and then stuffed with a tablespoon of meat mixture. Then they were returned to the pot to boil for about 40 mins. Normal stuffed cabbage is cooked for much longer in order to cook the rice, so mine has a bit more green left in the leaf.

The tomato sauce was made yesterday morning. All the ingredients went in a pot with an inch or so of water, and cooked for an hour and a half or so until they broke down nicely.

I went a little heavy on the oregano, and I occasionally come across a large bit of meat - other than that these are tip-top.

No comments:

Post a Comment