Thursday, July 22, 2010

Market Day


The challenge week kickoff was today-- we have family dinner on Thursday nights normally, and had agreed to have a market day after dinner tonight in order to bring our extras/items for trade in order to give ourselves an opportunity to have a little of everything.
In attendance were Sharon, Therese, Todd, Katelynn, Myself, and of course our fearless leader, Mark. :o) Our friend Jeff was also present, and although he is not participating in the challenge, he benefited greatly from attending as he was the sole beneficiary of the cleaning out of the fridge from all non-challenge foods.
Everyone left with a sense of satisfaction... Sharon was already busy cooking up meals for the week, and even made veggie patties for everyone from items we all donated.
The trading went as follows:
Mark traded with me (Todd and Katelynn are included with "me")--about .5 lbs. of his walnuts for 2 cloves of garlic and 1/2 of my dried stevia
Mark traded with Therese/Sharon-- about .4 lbs. of his walnuts for .55 lbs. of their potatoes
Therese/Sharon traded with Mark-- their largest turnip for equal weight of his corn meal (1 lb.)
Therese/Sharon traded with me-- .5 lbs of their smallish turnips for .45 lbs of my carrots
Mark traded with me-- 8 of my apples and two of my potatoes for his supply of chicory root
Mark traded with Therese/Sharon-- his cayenne peppers for a baggie of each marjoram and thyme
Therese/Sharon traded with me-- two containers of their apple sauce for my giant zucchini
Mark traded with Therese/Sharon-- 1.2 lbs of their apples sauce for .5lbs of his green beans and .5 lbs of his spinach
Mark traded with me-- .5 lbs of his green beans for .25 lbs dried apricots
Therese/Sharon traded with me-- 1 bag of their clover flowers for 1 bag of my dried apricots
Mark traded with me-- .4 lbs of his spinach for 1 pint of sweet blackberries
Therese/Sharon traded with me-- 1 large turnip for 4 of my small beets
Therese/Sharon traded with Mark-- 4 of their plums and 1 of their peppers for one of his cabbages
Mark traded with me-- one of his cabbages for one of my kohlrabi
Mark traded with me-- 1 lb of his soybeans for 8 of my carrots
Mark traded with me-- one of his summer squash for my apricot fruit leather
Mark traded with Therese/Sharon-- his goose neck for a bunch of their chard, a bowl of their clover flowers, and a couple of their pea pods
Therese/Sharon traded with me-- the remainder of my stevia for a bag of their linden flowers
Therese/Sharon traded with Mark-- 1 container of their apple sauce for 1 bottle of his wine
Mark traded with me-- one of his bottles of wine for one of my jars of apricots
Mark traded with me-- 1/2 a container of his corn meal for 7 of my beets
Therese/Sharon traded with Mark-- a small bag of their linden flowers plus a cucumber for 1 lb of his soybeans.

I must have missed a trade when I was logging them, because I know that Therese and Sharon wound up with one of Mark's summer squashes as well... but I don't have it written down, so I'm not sure what the trade was for... though I think their tomato was involved.

All-in-all, it seems we will have plenty to eat for the week, so concerned friends don't fret!
PLUS, we still all have more growing... and are still planning foraging trips throughout the week!
Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment