Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Healing Crisis, Withdrawal Symptoms and New Resolve

I normally drink lots of coffee, eat dairy and like a bowl of ice cream on a hot summer afternoon. It's been really hot this summer! That being said, my body was used to it's daily injection of caffeine, carbs and sugar. The night before last it was evident that something was missing from my diet. I woke up at about 2:00 a.m. and for the next two hours went through what I can only call a healing crisis. I had a horrible headache, aches and pains and my stomach felt queasy (which was probably from the headache). I prayed and worked through it. Yesterday, when I woke up, I didn't even feel like eating anything. So, I took my bottle of mint tea, some water and my aching self and went berry picking for most of the day.

I ate my breakfast (consisting of berries and tea) after the first round of berry picking and then I took a short nap. I picked some more berries and then came home to get ready for work. I didn't eat anything substantial until 3:45 p.m. After that meal I broke into a sweat like you would when a fever breaks. I had to train a new person at work last night so the first 1/2 hour was a little tricky. After the new hire left, someone offered me some Godiva chocolates. I didn't even have to think twice about turning it down. My pre-challenge self would have gobbled up the chocolate. I went back to my desk and ate blueberries for a snack. They were delicious!!!

I'm feeling MUCH better today with just a slight headache.

All that negative stuff being said. I think that this challenge has probably been a life saver for me. The hardest thing to eating healthy is getting started. Now that I've gone through my detox, I plan on a much healthier diet.

Thanks to my family for getting me on the right track!

3 comments:

  1. I had a few good headaches the first few days too - you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I occasionally force myself to detox from sweets. It drops my tolerance, so I eat less and enjoy them more. When I eat too many, it's just the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I is amazing how bland everything tastes after you've junked up your body with sweets and too much salt. I agree with you -also amazing that when you do have sweets again after you've detoxed - they are almost too sweet. I do miss my salt. Tonight my potato pancakes were screaming for salt. I had to eat them to shut them up!

    ReplyDelete