Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Polenta!

I wrote this as a comment, but I thought I'd post it. Polenta was a life saver for me when i did the Tenement Diet; and I still eat it and love it. It's the cheapest food you can make, and it's a filling carb to mix in with veggies. When Italy was in a great depression around the turn of the century, everyone survived on polenta and fresh veg from the garden.

Here's a complicated recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/savory-polenta-recipe/index.html

You can add veggies to the polenta itself.

But, I usually make it very, very simply: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/basic-polenta-recipe/index.html

You can scale down this recipe and leave out the butter.

This is good with cooked veggies served on top for dinner (I made some with cooked chard and onions, so good!), or sliced and fried for breakfast.  After you make it, put it in a pan or casserole and stick it in the fridge.  It becomes dense and sliceable.

1 comment: