Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 8

Breakfast today - bran cereal, scrambled egg, biscotti, fried turkey skin, and applesauce. I decided to skip the milk and just sugar the cereal up with maple sugar. Id like to make this milk last as long as possible. I froze some too so we'll see how that works out later.

Lunch today was a good helping of turkey soup with wheat noodles, and crackers with turkey spread and savory gelatin. To make the soup this time I used 1 cup soup stock, 1/2 cup of the drippings from the pan (there was very little fat in the pan, it all came out as gelatin) 1/2 cup water, and 1/4 cup milk. I added a bit of salt and two crushed peppercorns, plus some of the meat I had picked off the bones. I figure there is 1 more meal of turkey soup with meat and then another one with just broth left. The crackers I made yesterday in the oven from the bread dough I made with Sharon last Sunday. I rolled the dough flat, put it in a 300 degree oven until they were dry and crispy. I didn't time it so I can't say how long it took. I experimented with various amounts of water to try to make them crispier. The savory gelatin was just a small spoon from the original turkey pan drippings.

Dinner was clean out the fridge; 2 pierogis with tomato sauce, sauerkraut, applesauce. Not the finest food combination but I am trying to bake bread so I am content to have whatever is quickest. I will probably snack more as I go tonight.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.2

2 comments:

  1. Mark - I still have my reserve turkey drippings. I'm not going to use them. Would you like me to save them for you? Frozen or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly - if you aren't going to use them I will gladly take them!

    ReplyDelete