Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Making Cheese From Scratch

As I previously mentioned, my milk was starting to get a little funny. It didn't smell bad but it was clumping when I added it to things, soup, cereal, etc. So I decided I would try to turn it into cheese.

I had seen on Settler House on PBS that a woman used vinegar to coagulate the milk. I decided to give this a try. I put a coffee filter in a small gladware container and put some of the vinegar I developed in my basement into it as well. The woman on the show was cooking it on the stove so I figured it should probably be hot. I microwaved it for 20 seconds, then slowly added the milk. I then microwaved that for 20 more seconds. I carefully picked the edges of the filter up and squeezed all the water I could out of it. No white milk came through the filter so it seemed to be working. I squeezed and squeezed and finally took a peek - there were strands just like cheese should have! I pressed it a bit more, then rested a pickle jar on it for a while. The resulting product tastes like a very blank cheese with wine vinegar on it. I only had about 3/4 cup of milk when I started so the corresponding bit of cheese is minuscule. I will definitely experiment with this more post-challenge.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.2

No comments:

Post a Comment